MCs Kyela McGuire and Lauren Kapp present at OSHS's Hispanic Heritage Month  celebration on October 11th.
MCs Kyela McGuire and Lauren Kapp present at OSHS’s Hispanic Heritage Month celebration on October 11th.
Morgan Bubello
Categories:

How OSHS Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic Heritage Month is a celebration dedicated to the recognition of all the efforts of Hispanic people in this country. It spans from September 15th to October 15th, and has been celebrated every year since 1988. With that in mind, a few staff members spoke about how Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM) is celebrated at OSHS, as well as how it affects the school. 

Señora Vazquez said, “We do a lot of activities. We make and present projects about Hispanic countries. Currently, students are making a projects about a Hispanic country of their choice and presenting them to their friends.” She continued to talk about what HHM meant to her, and said, “I think it’s a sign of respect and representation for all of us in this country.”  Finally, she spoke about how Hispanic Heritage Month affects our school, saying, “The community is uniting more and helping each other. The school recognizes Hispanic students and learns from them. This school gives us an opportunity to do presentations and have space to express ourselves.”  

Ms. Casolino also gave her thoughts on Hispanic Heritage Month. She said, “We use the mobile display to showcase what we are celebrating for the month” specifically, the display of Hispanic Books that the Library & Media Center has! In regards to why the LMC had the display, she said, “We use it for new books, and when we want students to look at them.” When asked what  HHM is to her she answered with, “I think it’s a great time to celebrate and acknowledge hispanics and the other 21 countries representing latinos. A great time to reflect on their history and culture and to celebrate.” Finally, Ms. Casolino explained why the display is directly in the middle of the library, and said “We like to have it noticeable, so when students enter the LMC it’s visible. It’s a reference tool as well, so when students ask, we have books related to that. We showcase them.”